Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Understanding more important than memorizing




Understanding why something works is paramount if you are going to master it.

I read an article in the local newspaper about a high school graduate that received a $250,000 scholarship from Microsoft to continue his education in computer science. I can't imaging how many applied and did not get it. So why him? What could he have possibly done or said to come up on top?


I believe that many others who applied had similar talents and resumes. Something however made him unique in the eyes of the judges.

He was quoted as saying this; "A lot of people like to memorize formulas, I like to understand the logic part of formulas and how they work."

This statement is so profound that I believe it is the major reason he was chosen instead of other applicants.
This statement explains why some people do the status quo and others excel. Why some are miles ahead in a given field.
Photography is no different. I tell the story of a fellow photographer that I have not seen in at least 15 years. We went to the same workshops, attended the same seminars, and conventions.
We even had similar equipment but our photographs were different. Mine told a story and had impact. Mine quietly lured you in emotionally. His were sharp, high end snapshots. The lighting


and composition on mine were different. When we entered prints in competition mine would hang with ribbons on display and his would not. The funny part is he knew more rules on lighting and composition and camera technique than I did. He was in photography longer than I and had more experience.

One day I figured it out. He had memorized more than me but understood less. Memorizing a rule is one thing but understanding why and how it works is what separates you from the pack.

Memorizing a formula is simply the ability to regurgitate information. It is the status quo. Understanding is having a firm grip and command of the formula. It is how you excel.


When learning photography techniques it is important that you learn not just the rules but why and how they work. This is what will make you excel way beyond your piers.


Memorizing the rules allows you to copy someone
elses work. Understanding the rules lets you create your own and establish your own style.
I encourage all to learn not only the rules but why they work. This is what my seminars, DVD's and classes are all about.

2 comments:

  1. that's a very interesting pearl of wisdom...thanks...it makes a lot of sense...keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave,
    I was just looking over some older posts and came across this . I appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete